Thursday, November 17, 2011

Camp to Coker, Part 1

I like blankets. And couches. I also like living with friends who are rather decent musicians, to say the least. While utilizing both a blanket and a couch, I'm listening to Stafford play guitar riffs and progressions,  and I'm reorganizing this blog. We'll see how the changes last.

Speaking of change, a lot has changed since the last time I posted something here. It was the Fourth of July in the middle of my fourth summer working at Camp St. Christopher, and I had just returned a few days before from a trip to see the last space shuttle launch. Before the summer I had taken a semester off from Haverford and worked at St. Christopher in the CORE program, where I spent time trying to listen for what God had in plan for me. I was mainly focused on asking about school: where to finish my studies and what to study. He answered those too, but I mainly found him drawing me closer to Him and revealing a taste of my future calling.

Now, I'm living, on the opposite side of the city I grew up in, with three guys, two of whom I've known for a few (good) years, and one who I really only met on our first day moving in. I'm almost done with my first semester at the College of Charleston (although only a half-load of classes), I'm leading worship at Church of the Good Shepherd in West Ashley, and I'm working valet at the VA Hospital downtown. Although it looks pretty much just like I expected, it's also been not like I expected at all.

I imagined spending a ton of time with the wonderful people I already know at the College of Charleston, our home being a center for a sprawling Christian community, and comfortably getting by with the money I'd saved over the summer and would earn working. I imagined losing my procrastination habit. I imagined diligently pursuing my Savior, growing closer in knowing him and becoming more sure in faith. I imagined flawless roommateship, infinite jam sessions, and other joyous things.

What I've found is not the complete opposite, but definitely different than what I expected. A lot of it is due to a lack of free time in my schedule, and the rest is a lack of wise usage of my time. Oh, and then there's the part about how God's plans are different (and better) than my own. But that will come out in the next installment.

1 comment: